Branding and identity design is a process that can be highly creative and fun.
Branding is more than just logo design. A brand creates consistency and recognition through different media platforms, products, and interactions with customers. A brand is all about telling a story of who you are. Your logo mark is just a part of that story.
There are some simple steps to the brand development process:
1. Meet with the client and have them fill out the “creative brief” which determines things such as purpose, mission, audience and style.
2. Brainstorming/researching phase, which includes mind-mapping and sketching. First ideas or impressions usually do not turn out to be the best.
3. After sketching dozens of options, I select 2-3 designs to digitize. They are brought into the computer where I work with different layouts and color choices. These designs are then sent to the client as first drafts.
4. The designs then enter the refinement stage until perfect and are then outputted for client use. I always provide a grayscale, black, white, and full color version of the logo in .png, .eps, and .pdf formats.
5. Once a logo is designed I strongly recommend they continue into a full identity and branding package with guidelines. This is to ensure that the brand is used consistently across all platforms.
The logo used in this example is an actual client concept and is not yet completed.
The brand for this company, Waffle-licious, spanned business cards, logo, menus, t-shirts, website, and various marketing material such as postcards, letterhead and gift certificates. Along with the branding, I provide a “branding guidelines” book that helps create the consistency you need when being used by a number of people.
If you are interested in working on brand development, contact me for a personalized quote!